The Calgary Sport Council was formed in November 2000 as a result of a year-long consultation with the Calgary amateur sport community.
The following priorities will be the focus of the Sport Council:
- To encourage and facilitate the hosting of sporting events and sport tourism in Calgary.
- To create a vision for amateur sport in Calgary from "grassroots" to elite levels. We will continually identify and reassess the need for amateur sport development in Calgary as well as the needs of the sport community.
- To foster partnerships and collaboration with stakeholders at community, municipal, provincial, national and international levels in order to enhance and promote amateur sport.
- To facilitate education and training to athletes, coaches, officials, administrators, board members and volunteers by providing information and/or available resources.
- To be a resource for the amateur sport community and encourage full utilization of facilities, development of appropriate facilities, and coordination between groups where needed.
Community Initiatives Program